Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Preconceived Notions

In general, I have often fallen into the trap where I view Appalachia, like many other regions of the United States, as merely flyover country. The reason why I chose this trip, beyond my interest in the topic, was to make sure that I could correct my misunderstandings about the people and the places that exist in that part of the country. I'm extremely concerned that without trips like these, people living in the same nation simply won't be able to communicate on a mutually intelligible basis. In light of the new movement towards a national energy policy, I feel that it's important for me to understand the basis from which other Americans approach this topic. My preconception of Appalachia as a generally anti-environmentalist region is bound to change through our future discussions with activists in the region.

No comments:

Post a Comment