Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reactions to last class, preconceived notions of Appalachia

Hi everyone!

I really enjoyed the game we played last class. It was pretty interesting how the countries/states that were major players in one category could be counted on to be major players in others (which helped when we couldn't think of answers to the questions!).

Also, Margot gave a great summary of the world's energy as it currently stands. I hope to one day be able to recite all the figures as she did!

In terms of preconceived notions of Appalachia, I know the Tennessee Valley Authority operates there and they use a lot of coal, but everything else is probably a stereotype in my mind constructed from news snippets and cartoons set in the mountains there. For example, "Appalachia" evokes images of mountain climbers in lederhosen living in huts and chopping down trees. Don't ask... Also, I know the 13 colonies were settled east of the Appalachia and it was a big deal when they started expanding west. I wonder to what extent that first movement affected how the Appalachia stands today.

In any case, I look forward to learning the truth about the region next class and hope to soon eliminate any images of lederhosen and mountain goats.

Cheers,
Suejung

No comments:

Post a Comment