Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Last First Post

Ciao Tutti,

I apologize for posting so late. However, I promise to make an exciting post about literature of the Appalachia region very soon.

I have never been to Appalachia before, so like many others, I expect an immersive learning experience that will expose me to the region's complex energy issues. As others have commented, I hope to gain a better understanding of coal as well as the potential for alternative energy sources in Appalachia. I am also concerned about how coal mining has directed affected humanity.

Another hope is that our group will foster a strong dynamic and solid friendships- I think one of the best aspects of group travel over an extended period of time.

Finally, this trip will fantastically complement the Overseas Seminar in Doha and Dubai in which Tina and I participated this summer. Qatar’s income is largely dependent upon its natural gas reserves, among the biggest in the world, but is just now looking into other sources of economic diversification. Our group was shocked by the sheer size of Ras Laffan Industrial City, where we marveled at two highly intricate LNG trains and the great challenge of managing all aspects of such a mega-project. Dubai, on the other hand, has completely moved beyond energy and is now embracing tourism. What is the fate of energy in Appalachia, and in our country?

I hope to be an environmental writer someday, so this trip will certainly give me a great background in science communication.

See you all very soon,

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment